Shop Logo

Shop Logo
Best Shop in The Adirondacks

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Great Find, "Fran Betters River Map"

I was surfing the net this morning, taking a short break from my task of preseason ordering still needing completion, and I was on the site The Fly Fishing Connection and I found this map said to be hand drawn of the West AuSable River originated by Fran Betters.  I have another more recent, but dated map, that he sold in his shop at the time for around .75 cents. This one has a write up of the river and labels the river spots also.  Taking a quick look at the older map, the one on this post, the holes have some additional names.  I am going to print both versions so I can study this more.  Names like: North Notch Pool, The Bend and Riffles, 5 Flats, and Stop Pool to name a few.


Nice to have such a piece of Fran's history.  I personally reflect about Fran every time I fish the West Branch. I often think of what life and fishing was really like when Fran fished these waters in their prime. The area was more primitive. I love the woods and the rivers in them.  It keeps me feeling fresh about life and all that is in it. It deepens my respect for every thing.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a map I did a while back that you may like!
bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.37075413138381~-73.70434681020431&lvl=10&dir=0&sty=r&cid=FCE53E507936326!125&form=LMLTCC

Unknown said...

Your map is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to create and share it.